Volunteer Role Profile
Role Marketing and Media Support
Role summary To support the operation of your local Shelter Office and the charity as a whole by taking part in activities that help Shelter to spread the message about their services.
Suggested Involvement One half a day a week minimum for a period of around 6 months although this is flexible
Supervised by Service Manager
Why get involved with Shelter?
More than one million people a year come to us for advice and support via our website, help lines, and national network of services. We help people to find and keep a home in a place where they can thrive, and we tackle the root causes of bad housing by campaigning for new laws, policies and practice.
- Writing articles or preparing internal/external newsletters
- Attending Community events on behalf of shelter, to encourage people to engage with our services or to recruit new volunteers
- Campaigning for Shelter
- Writing case studies and press releases
- Contacting the local media on our behalf
Skills and Abilities Required
- Interest in the work of Shelter and in media, marketing and communications
- Ability to organise your own work, manage your time and work on your own initiative
- Ability to use computers and programs such as Word and Excel
- Effective communication skills and the ability to understand the needs of our customers
- Willingness to follow Shelter’s policies, including volunteering, health & safety, equality & diversity & confidentiality
Induction, Learning & Development
To enable you take part in this opportunity Shelter will
- Provide a volunteer pack including a Handbook and all Policies and Procedures
- Provide personalised volunteering plan, covering support and development
- Provide e-learning: Equality & Diversity, Health & Safety, Data Protection, Case Management System
- Reimburse “out of pocket” expenses in line with Shelter’s volunteer expenses policy
Benefits of Volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting and learning about the work of a large national charity
- Developing transferable skills
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references you leave
- Contact our offices on 0344 515 1831 or email@example.com and we’ll send you out an application pack. When you return this to us we will arrange a brief interview to find out more about you.
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of our services and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role description does not form part of