Volunteer Role Profile
Role Advice Team Support
Role summary To support the operation of your local Shelter Office in their day to day to day business, taking part in duties that relate to our work advising clients.
Suggested Involvement One day per week minimum suggested for around 6 months, but this is flexible
Supervised by Team Leader
Why get involved with Shelter?
More than one million people a year come to us for advice and support via our website, help lines, and national network of services. We help people to find and keep a home in a place where they can thrive, and we tackle the root causes of bad housing by campaigning for new laws, policies and practice.
- Shadowing Advice/Case workers
- Assist clients in accessing accommodation, benefits and support
- Note taking in meetings and typing these up in accordance with Shelters standards
- Contacting clients and arranging meetings
- Observing court sessions and taking notes
- Researching cases and areas of law
- Writing basic letters / emails to clients / services
- Opening and closing cases on our case management system
Skills and Abilities Required
- Interest in social welfare law e.g. housing; welfare benefits; debt; community care
- Ability to organise your own work, manage your time and work on your own initiative
- Ability to use computers and programs such as Word and Excel
- Effective communication skills and the ability to understand the needs of our customers
- Willingness to follow Shelter’s policies, including volunteering, health & safety, equality & diversity & confidentiality
Induction, Learning & Development
To enable you take part in this opportunity Shelter will
- Provide a volunteer pack including a Handbook and all Policies and Procedures
- Provide personalised volunteering plan, covering support and development
- Provide e-learning: Equality & Diversity, Health & Safety, Data Protection, Case Management Systems, Contracts & Case work
- Reimburse “out of pocket” expenses in line with Shelter’s volunteer expenses policy
Benefits of Volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting and learning about the work of a large national charity
- Developing transferable skills
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references you leave
- Contact our offices on 0344 515 1831 and we’ll send you out an application pack. When you return this to us we will arrange a brief interview to find out more about you.
- As this role is client facing we are obliged to carry out a DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) check.
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of our services and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role description does not form part of any contract of employment.