Volunteer Role Profile
Role Administrative Assistant – Client Facing
Role summary Assisting the administrator with reception duties supporting the operation of your local Shelter Office in their day to day to day business.
Suggested Involvement Half a day or one day per week minimum suggested for around 6 months, but this is flexible
Supervised by Service Administrator
Why get involved with Shelter?
More than one million people a year come to us for advice and support via our website, help lines, and national network of services. We help people to find and keep a home in a place where they can thrive, and we tackle the root causes of bad housing by campaigning for new laws, policies and practice.
- Meeting and greeting clients
- Booking in clients for interviews with our advisers
- Giving out information and leaflets
- ‘Signposting’ people to other services if we are unable to help
- Inputting information on to our Case Management Systems
- General basic admin, such as photocopying, scanning, creating client files and filing
Skills and Abilities Required
- Experience of working with the public
- Ability to organise your own work, manage your time and work on your own initiative
- Using computer programs such as Word and Excel
- Effective communication skills and the ability to understand the needs of our customers
- Willingness to follow Shelter’s policies, including volunteering, health and safety, equality and diversity and confidentiality
Induction, Learning & Development
To enable you take part in this opportunity Shelter will
- Provide a volunteer pack including a Handbook and all Policies and Procedures
- Provide personalised volunteering plan, covering support and development
- Provide e-learning: Equality & Diversity, Health and Safety, Data Protection, Case Management Systems
- Reimburse “out of pocket” expenses in line with Shelter’s volunteer expenses policy
Benefits of Volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting and learning about the work of a large national charity
- Developing transferable skills
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references when you leave our services
- Contact our offices on 0344 515 1831 and we’ll send you out an application pack. When you return this to us we will arrange a brief interview to find out more about you.
- As this role is client facing we are obliged to carry out a DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service, formerly CRB) check. We will give you more information if your application is successful
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of our services and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role profile does not form part of any contract of employment.