ROLE TITLE: Volunteer Archiving Assistant
DESCRIPTION OF ROLE:
CANW’s Head Office in Wilpshire was formally Blackburn Orphanage, which opened in 1891. We have many documents within the organisation that require archiving. We are seeking volunteers to assist us in the process of sorting, cataloguing and scanning important documents. Main duties will also include:
- Working to a cataloguing and indexing system
- To input data into database systems
- To assist with the care and preservation of archive collections and maintaining good order in the designated storage area
- To support the development and maintenance of digital resources, including handling, scanning and digital manipulation
- Experience of carrying out administration duties in relation to the secure filing and retrieving of records and documents
- Experience of dealing with confidential information
- Experience of working with databases, spread sheets and word processing programmes
- Experience of working within the archive environment
- The secure handling of documents to meet data protection requirements
- Understanding of the need for confidentiality in respect of sensitive information.
- Good communication skills
- Ability to use own initiative
- Good attention to detail
Number of hours flexible depending on your availability but they will need to be during office hours. Days of work are also flexible but preferably Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays.
This role will solely be based at our Wilpshire Office in Blackburn.
WHEN: To start as soon as possible and then on-going.
- This will be of particular interest to anyone with an interest in local, or general, history.
- Training, supervision and development opportunities will be available.
WHAT YOU WILL GAIN:
This role will help improve IT skills, improve confidence, give you the chance to meet new people and learn more about our organisation and its history. You will learn about archiving, archiving databases and processes along with handling sensitive records.
If you are interested in this voluntary role or would like any more information, please contact Leanne Labrow, Volunteer Coordinator, Child Action Northwest, 01254 244700, email@example.com