Volunteer Role Profile
Role Administrative Assistant – Non Client Facing
Role summary To support the operation of your local Shelter Office in their day to day to day business. Taking part in basic duties that are not directly involved with face to face contact with clients
Suggested Involvement Half a day or one day per week minimum suggested for around 6 months, but this is flexible
Supervised by Service Administrator
Why get involved with Shelter?
More than one million people a year come to us for advice and support via our website, help lines, and national network of services. We help people to find and keep a home in a place where they can thrive, and we tackle the root causes of bad housing by campaigning for new laws, policies and practice.
- Photocopying of information such as leaflets and client files
- Filing of information and cases
- Scanning documents
- Preparing case packs
- Updating local information files
- Inputting information on to our Case Management Systems
Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to organise your own work, manage your time and work on your own initiative
- Using computer programs such as Word and Excel
- The ability to work as part of a team and value others
- Willingness to follow Shelter’s policies, including volunteering, health and safety, equality and diversity and confidentiality
Induction, Learning & Development
To enable you take part in this opportunity Shelter will
- Provide a volunteer pack including a Handbook and all Policies and Procedures
- Provide personalised volunteering plan, covering support and development
- Provide e-learning: Equality & Diversity, Health and Safety, Data Protection, Case Management Syetems
- Reimburse “out of pocket” expenses in line with Shelter’s volunteer expenses policy
Benefits of Volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting and learning about the work of a large national charity
- Developing transferable skills
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references when you leave our services
- Contact our offices on 0344 515 1831 and we’ll send you out an application pack. When you return this to us we will arrange a brief interview to find out more about you.
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of our services and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role description does not form part of any contract of employment.